Demonstrate a significant command of knowledge in your chosen field
- Undertake a substantial piece of original research, under academic supervision
- Your PhD thesis will demonstrate authority in your chosen field and evidence of command of knowledge
- Display a thorough grasp of the appropriate methodological techniques
- Make a distinct contribution to knowledge, via an original approach and, where possible, the discovery of new facts
- Show your ability to communicate research findings effectively in the professional arena and in an international context
Make your contribution to key research areas
- Veterinary biosciences
- Animal sciences, health and welfare
- Infectious diseases, public health and biosecurity
Learn more about the specific areas of research of the Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences.
By writing a sustained thesis of approximately 80,000 words under academic supervision, which examines a specific problem, issue or topic, you’ll make a significant and original contribution to an existing area of knowledge in your field of study.
While researching for your thesis, you will be able to access specialist support for graduate research degree students, including lectures and seminars, writing boot camps and workshops
Doctoral degrees at the University of Melbourne seek to develop graduates who demonstrate academic leadership, increasing independence, creativity and innovation in their research work.