On track with the NEW Generation DVM - our internationally-recognised, professional veterinary science qualification.
- Follow your passion with our unique tracks program, choose our Production Animal, Small Animal, Equine or Government, industry and conservation track from third year
- Gain industry-ready skills and knowledge
- Benefit from a final year of lecture-free practical training in our Veterinary Hospital and at other approved sites
- Work around the world with international recognition through accreditation by the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council, American Veterinary Medicine Association and Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
The Melbourne Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) is Australia’s first graduate-entry, professional veterinary science qualification. The DVM is based on the latest global thinking in veterinary science practice, teaching and learning.
As a NEW Generation Melbourne DVM student, you will take part in our unique Tracks program. Tracks prepare you best for your chosen career path by concentrating your studies on a particular area of clinical interest and gaining complementary industry-ready skills and knowledge. This represents the latest international education models and enables you to stand out from the crowd upon graduation.
The first intake for this exciting new program is in 2016 and the first class will graduate in 2019.
Our DVM curriculum has been developed around five learning domains, which infuse every subject and are based around the attributes of a veterinary scientist:
- The scientific basis of clinical practice
- Ethics and animal welfare
- Biosecurity and population health
- Clinical skills
- Personal and professional development
A culture of innovation and tradition
The NEW GEN DVM program recognises the pivotal role of animals in society, and prepares students to become leaders in management, welfare and care of animals in diverse settings. The program embraces a strong foundation in veterinary science, as well as the latest clinical technologies and evidenced-based practices, and draws on the wealth of experience from our academics. Our new Tracks program will ensure you develop a high-quality core veterinary skill-set while at the same time giving you the opportunity to follow your particular area of interest from third-year, allowing you to differentiate yourself upon graduation.
Throughout your degree you will have access to practical and clinical training in our world-class University Veterinary Hospital and via external placements. The Veterinary Hospital includes a general practice, referral practice, equine centre and a 24-hour small animal emergency and critical care service, which sees more than 20,000 patients every year. Its facilities include state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging capabilities and on-site diagnostic pathology laboratories as well as our new clinical skills centre.
- Graduates of the Melbourne Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) are internationally accredited to work overseas.
- You will be equipped to solve problems, draw on the substantial body of veterinary knowledge, interpret evidence, and make decisions within a solid professional and ethical framework.
- Gain the right mix of theoretical and practical skills as well as career-focused clinical training.
- Experience strong bonds with teaching staff and fellow students. The strength of our community leads to excellent networking, placement and employment opportunities, which can really take you places, from the rich farming lands of Tasmania, to the bustle of Hong Kong, or the savannahs of South Africa.
- Benefit from our Faculties strong national and international links with the veterinary profession, agricultural and animal health industries, and research agencies.
Go further with a concurrent diploma
Some DVM students may be eligible for our DVM Diploma program, which further prepares future vets for life in the workforce. This program allows you to complete one extra unit per year, in complementary areas such as agribusiness or business management. A number of subjects are taught by the renowned Melbourne Business School. The end result is a specialised diploma, alongside your DVM, as the ultimate preparation for your chosen career: