In order to be considered for entry, applicants must have completed:
- within the last 10 years a Bachelor of Science with a weighted average mark of at least H3 (65%), or equivalent, with a major relevant to the discipline stream within the Bachelor of Science (Degree with Honours) that they seek to enter; or
- within the last 10 years an undergraduate degree, of which at least the equivalent of two full years comprises science or technology areas of study, with a weighted average mark of at least H3 (65%), or equivalent, and containing at least 50 points of study at third year level in science or technology areas of study.
Applicants are also required to meet any specific subject prerequisites and prior academic performance requirements associated with the discipline stream that they seek to enter. For stream specific requirements please click here.
Meeting these requirements does not guarantee selection.
In ranking applications, the Selection Committee will consider:
- prior academic performance, and
- the availability of supervision and resources in suitable project areas.
Quotas may be applied to the degree as a whole or to individual discipline streams and preference may be given to applicants with evidence of appropriate preparation or potential to undertake research.
The Selection Committee may seek further information to clarify any aspect of an application in accordance with the Admission and Selection into Course Policy.
For applicants who have not completed the Victorian Certificate of Education or the International Baccalaureate Diploma, the undergraduate English language requirements must be met.
Undergraduate English requirements
You need to meet the University's TOEFL (academic test) requirements within the 24 months preceding application. The following scores are required:
- Paper based test - a score of 577 or more including a score of 4.5 in the Test of Written English.
- Internet based test - a score of 79 and scores of:
- Writing: 21
- Speaking: 18
- Reading: 13
- Listening 13
The University of Melbourne TOEFL Institution Code is 0974. Please use this code so that your results can be reported to us.
Students with a TOEFL (IBT) score of less than 94 will be required to take a Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA) on enrolment at the University and to follow recommendations for language support. Read further information about DELA.
You need to meet the University's IELTS (academic test) requirements within the 24 months preceding application. The following scores are required:
- an overall band score of 6.5 or more in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 6.0.
Students with an IELTS overall score of less than 7 will be required to take a Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA) on enrolment at the University and to follow recommendations for language support. Read further information about DELA.
Pearson Test of English (Academic)
You need to meet the University's Pearson Test of English (Academic test) requirement within the 24 months preceding application.
The following score is required:
- an overall score of between 58-64 inclusive and achieve no PTE communicative skills score below 50.
Cambridge English: Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
You need to meet the University's CAE requirement within the 24 months preceding application.
The following score is required:
- A Cambridge English Score of 176 with no skill below 169.
Required scores must be achieved from a single test report, even if you have sat for multiple TOEFL or IELTS tests.
Your original TOEFL or IELTS test report form must be included with your application. Certified copies and TOEFLexaminer's score records are not accepted.
Note: Some specific courses may have different TOEFL or IELTS score requirements.
Details about TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson and CAE testing are available by following these links:
- TOEFL testing information
- IELTS testing information
- Pearson testing information
- University of Cambridge ESOL examinations information
If you offer is conditional on you meeting the English language requirements, you must meet the minimum TOEFL, Pearson, IELTS or CAE scores above to be eligible for a place.
Hawthorn - Melbourne
Hawthorn - Melbourne (previously Hawthorn English Language Centre) offers a range of English language programs that prepare international students for further university study (including IELTS preparation).
If a faculty has a lower TOEFL/IELTS requirement, students may be required to enrol in, and pass, English as a Second Language subjects as part of their degree program. It is important to note that applicants who have undertaken their final year of study in less than the usual amount of time, for example a fast-track, accelerated or intensive program, will be required to meet the University's TOEFL or IELTS requirements.
English for immigration requirements
While the IELTS, TOEFL, CAE and Pearson Test of English tests are acceptable for meeting the University's English language requirements, the requirements of the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) may differ. It is recommended that you contact your nearest Australian Embassy or High Commission in order to ascertain the English requirements for obtaining a student visa.