Warren Thornton Memorial Scholarship
Established by Ms Betty Thornton to commemorate her brother (George) Warren Thornton (1929-2012) who farmed at Tallygaroopna and was active in the Goulburn Valley community.The donor has a preference for the awardee to be an undergraduate student, from the Goulburn Valley and with an interest in pursuing a career in the dairy industry. Such interest could extend to pasture production, cow nutrition, reproduction and health, calf management, milk harvesting and processing, agribusiness, dairy product marketing, and governance of the dairy industry.
If you are from the Goulburn Valley, commencing or currently studying a Bachelor of Agriculture, and can demonstrate an interest in dairy production, this scholarship could assist you financially with study and living expenses.
Award value: up to $15,000*
Duration: standard course duration (dependent upon entry point)
* Based on 2017 award
How to apply
Terms and Conditions
This scholarship is paid in instalments each semester, after standard Semester 1 and Semester 2 census dates.
- Amounts are payable as a pro-rata if enrolment is less than full time
- Full-time enrolment constitutes at least 37.5 points in one half-year period
Recipients are expected to attend an award ceremony. Failure to attend (without extenuating circumstances) may result in cancellation of the scholarship.
Students are expected to maintain ‘good standing’ in their course. This means not being identified as At Risk of, or making unsatisfactory progress.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident or the holder of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa
- be enrolled in, or enrolled to commence study in a Bachelor of Agriculture
- have a permanent address in the Goulburn Valley
- demonstrate an interest in dairy production
- Preference will be given to students at the commencement of their studies as per the Donor's wishes
Please note that to apply for this scholarship you will need to provide a statement of your interest in the Dairy Industry. Such interest could extend to pasture production, cow nutrition, reproduction and health, calf management, milk harvesting and processing, agribusiness, dairy product marketing, and governance of the dairy industry. This statement should be no more than 1000 words.
- Applications Open: Mid-December 2017
- Applications Close: 4 March 2018