Agricultural & Resource Economics and Agribusiness (AREA)
The Agricultural & Resource Economics and Agribusiness (AREA) group assesses questions of agricultural and natural resource management and policy, and agrifood and agribusiness industry issues. This capacity is important in addressing the Grand Challenge of supporting Sustainability and Resilience, including climate change, and water and food security.
AREA addresses the following issues:
- Agricultural practice change and technology adoption for farmers and farming systems;
- Agricultural resource use and implications for farms, local communities and agricultural policy;
- Agricultural water use in Australia and other countries;
- Agribusiness management and value chain improvement;
- Farm management economics of changes to grazing and cropping systems; and
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation for farming systems.
Research Group Contact Information
Name & Honorifics: Dr. Bob Farquharson, AREA leader
Title: Senior Lecturer
Dept: Department of Agriculture and Food Systems
Phone: +61 3 8344 7390
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Melbourne
- Dr. Bob Farquharson
- Assoc. Prof. Bill Malcolm
- Assoc. Prof. Brian Davidson
- Prof. Garry Griffith
- Dr. Nanette Esparon
- Ms. Ros Gall
- Mr. Peter McSweeney
- Dr. Thiagarajah Ramilan
|Ms. Claire Lewis,||Analysing the potential value of novel white clover for Australian dairy systems|
|Mr. Cameron Ludemann,||Economic and GHG analysis of the impacts of high energy ryegrasses in dairy systems|
|Mr. Jonathan Tocker,||Profit, cash, wealth and risk impacts of changes to farm systems in Western Victoria under changed economic and climatic conditions|
|Mr. Will Taing,||Benefit cost analysis of robotic dairying|
|Ms. Adanma Amaefula,||Poverty Status and Effect on Efficiency of Yam Producers in Nigeria|
|Ms. Erandathie Pathiraja,||The economic impact of climate change on perennial crops: assessing the impact on coconut industry in Sri Lanka|
|Mr. Mike Stephens,||Growth and decline of farm businesses over generations of farm families|
|Mr. Ed McCartney,||Adjustment in smallholder irrigation zones|
|Ms. Fei Mok ,||Wastewater re-use in the Goulburn Murray Valley|
Members of this Research Domain edit and publish the Australasian Agribusiness Review, Australian Agribusiness Perspectives, and the AFBM Journal, see www.agrifood.info.
- Farquharson, R., Abadi, A., Finlayson, J., Ramilan, T., Liu, D.L., Anwar, M., Clark, S., Robertson, S., Mendham, D., Thomas, Q. and McGrath, J. (2013). EverFarm® - Climate adapted perennial-based farming systems for dryland agriculture in southern Australia, National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, http://www.nccarf.edu.au/publications4, Gold Coast, pp 157.
- Lewis, C.D., Malcolm, B., Jacobs, J.L., Spangenberg, G. and Smith, K.F. (2013), ‘A method to estimate the potential net benefits of trait improvements in pasture species: Transgenic white clover for livestock grazing systems’, AFBM Journal 10, 30-45.
- Davidson, B. & Hellegars, P. (2011), ‘Estimating the own-price elasticity of demand for irrigation water in the Musi catchment of India’, Journal of Hydrology, vol. 408 pp. 226-34.
- Griffith, G.R., Pollock, K.S. and Burrow, H.M. (2013), ‘How Did We Go? Revisiting the Ex Ante Economic Impact Assessment of the CRC for Beef Genetic Technologies, as at the Cessation of Funding’, Australasian Agribusiness Review Vol. 21, Paper 5, pp.83-100. Available at: http://www.agrifood.info/review/2013/Griffith-et-al.pdf
- Andres Valdivieso, A., McSweeney, P. and Esparon, N. (2011), ‘The Australia-Chile Free Trade Agreement and prospects for trade in fresh fruit: the cherry industry’, Australasian Agribusiness Review, Vol. 19, Paper 4, pp. 44-63. Available at: http://www.agrifood.info/review/2011/Valdivieso-McSweeney_Esparon.pdf
- Ramilan T., Scrimgeour F.G., Levy G., Marsh D., and Romera A.J. (2011), ‘Simulation of alternative dairy farm pollution abatement policies’, Environmental Modelling & Software, 26(1), 2-7.