Our group investigates normal locomotory function, to understand risk factors and to develop new ways of preventing damage and optimising performance.
- Hoof interaction with the track surface.
- Modelling the fetlock, carpus, tarsus
- Mechanically related movements.
- Muscle spindle density and proprioception
- Respiratory noise and ecg variations in relation to specific pathology during fast exercise
- Measuring training load.
RESEARCH GROUP CONTACT INFORMATION
- Dr. Hung Hsen Yen
- Dr. Chris Murray
Carla Lusi - Project: Quadruped forelimb functional anatomy
Sa’ad Ismail – Project: Greyhound functional anatomy
Akinbowele Olusa – Project: Equine carpus functional anatomy
Lisa Walter – Project: Developing ways to measure high speed dysfunction in the respiratory and cardiovascular systems
Zeeshan Akbar – Project: Functional anatomy of the tarsus in athletic animals
Victoria Moodie – Project: Measuring training load in racehorses
- Wang, X., Thomas, C.D.L., Clement, J.G., Das, R., Davies, H.M.S., Fernandez, J.W. (2015) a Mechanostatistical approach to cortical bone remodelling: An equine model. Accepted by Biomechanics and Modelling in Mechanobiology.
- Alrtib, A.M., Oheida, A.H., Abushhiwa, M.H., and Davies H.M.S. (2015) Metacarpophalangeal joint angle measurement in equine forelimbs. J. Vet. Adv. 5(2) 831-840.
- Nestadt, C.L., Lusi, C.M. and Davies, H.M.S. (2015) Effect of different head-and-neck positions on nuchal ligament dimensions in fetal foals. J.Equine Vet. Sci.35 153–160
- Alrtib, A.M., Philip, C.J., Abdunnabi, A.H. and Davies, H.M.S. (2013) Morphometrical study of bony elements of the forelimb fetlock joints in horses. Anat. Histol. Embryol. 42(1): 9-20.
- Cust, A.R.E., Anderson, G.A., Whitton, R.C., Davies, H.M.S. (2013) Hoof conformation and performance in the racing Thoroughbred in Macau. Australian Vet.J. 91 (3): 108-112.
- Bellanzani, M.C.R., Merritt, J.S., Clarke, S. and Davies, H.M.S. (2012) Investigation of hoof wall strains and hoof shape in unshod horses exercised on the treadmill at different speeds and gaits. American J. Vet. Res. 73(11):1735-41.
- Abdunnabi, A.H., Ahmed, Y.A., Philip, C.J. and Davies, H.M.S. (2011) Morphometrical variations of the carpal bones in Thoroughbreds and Ponies. Anat. Histol. Embryol.41, 139-148.
- Malone, S.R., and Davies, H.M.S. (2011) The effects of hoof trimming and farrier on hoof shape. J.Equine Vet.Sci. 31(s5-6):294-295.
- De Mello Costa, M.F., Anderson, G.A., Davies, H.M., Slocombe, R.F. (2011) "Effects of acute exercise on angiotensin 1-converting enzyme (ACE) activity in horses" Equine Vet J. 44(4):487-9.