Our group investigates important diseases such as equine laminitis and sepsis (the systemic inflammatory response to bacterial toxins), to understand the disease processes and risk factors and to develop new ways of treating them.
- Treating Equine Laminitis – developing novel therapies for this common and crippling condition of horses and ponies
- Novel anti-inflammatory drugs for the treatment of sepsis
- Anti-inflammatory effects of stem cells
- Obesity in horses and ponies
Research Group Leader/Key contact
Research Group Members
- Dr. Jenni Bauquier
- Dr. Nick Bamford
- Courtnay Baskerville – Insulin-like growth factor-1 in equine obesity and laminitis
- Samantha Potter – Assessing adiposity and obesity in horses
- Bauquier, J.R., Forbes, G., Nath, L., Tudor, E., Bailey, S.R. (2016). Plasma HMGB-1 and Nucleosome Concentrations in Horses with Colic and Healthy Horses. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 30(1):260-268.
- Dooley, L.M., Abdalmula, A., Washington, E.A., Kaufman, C., Tudor, E.M., Ghosh, P., Itescu, S., Kimpton, W.G., Bailey, S.R. (2015). Effect of mesenchymal precursor cells on the systemic inflammatory response and endothelial dysfunction in an ovine model of collagen-induced arthritis. PLoS One 10(5):e0124144.
- Bamford, N.J., Baskerville, C., Harris, P.A., Bailey, S.R. (2015). Postprandial glucose, insulin, and glucagon-like peptide-1 responses of horses and ponies adapted to meals containing micronized maize. Journal of Animal Science 93(7):3377-3383.
- Cudmore, L.J., Whittem, T., Bailey, S.R. (2015). Anti-inflammatory effects of clenbuterol on equine leukocytes stimulated ex vivo with bacterial toxins. Australian Equine Veterinarian 34(2):38-42.
- Bamford, N.J., Potter, S.J., Harris, P.A., Bailey, S.R. (2015). Effect of increased adiposity on insulin sensitivity and adipokine concentrations in horses and ponies fed a high-fat diet, with or without a once daily high-glycaemic meal. Equine Veterinary Journal (In press).
- Bauquier J., Tudor, E., Bailey, S.R. (2015). Anti-inflammatory effects of four potential anti-endotoxaemic drugs assessed in vitro using equine whole blood assays. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 38(3):290-6.
- Dooley, L.M., Washington E.A., Abdalmula, A., Tudor, E.M., Kimpton, W.G. and Bailey, S.R. (2014). Endothelial dysfunction in an ovine model of collagen-induced arthritis. Journal of Vascular Research 51:90-101.
- Abdalmula A., Washington E.A., House, J.V., Dooley, L.M., Blacklaws B.A., Ghosh, P., Bailey, S.R. and Kimpton, W.G. (2014). Clinical and histopathological characterisation of a large animal (ovine) model of collagen-induced arthritis. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 159(1-2):83-90.
- Bamford, N.J., Potter S.J., Harris, P.A., Bailey, S.R.. (2014). Breed differences in insulin sensitivity and insulinaemic responses to oral glucose in horses and ponies of moderate body condition score. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 47:101-107.