Plant Health and Biosecurity focuses on utilizing the latest molecular biology tools combined with basic disciplinary approach to drive cutting-edge research in the nature of the plant’s response to biotic and abiotic stresses; and to validate taxonomy and genetic diversity of diseases in Australia and SE Asia.
The outputs are better genotypes of crops and vegetables with improved resistance to pathogens, and environmental stresses; integrated control measures with less reliance on fungicides; and in country preparedness for protection from incursion of exotic pests and diseases. The research is underpinned by teaching in Plant Pathology, Plant Breeding, Disease Management and Food Security.
No results were found
Research Group Contact Information
Name and Honorifics: Dr Paul Taylor
Title: A/Prof & Reader (Plant Pathology)
Dept: Department of Agriculture and Food Systems
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgPh: +61 3 8344 5021
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences The University of Melbourne
- A/Prof Paul Taylor
- A/Prof Rebecca Ford
- A/Prof Phil Salisbury
- Dr Vicki Elliot (Research Fellow)
- Dr Gabrielle Smetham (Research Fellow)
- Niloofar Vaghefi (PhD): Biology and population dynamics of the pyrethrum ray blight pathogen
- Prakash VR (PhD): The role of Verticillium spp. in potato early dying syndrome in Australia
- Eden Tongson (PhD): Development of cold tolerance in Brassica napus using Arabidopsis Acyl-CoA-binding proteins
- Audrey Leo (PhD): Population structure of A. rabiei in Australia
- Sara Ohadi (PhD): Invasiveness of weedy Cakile species
- Kurt Lindbeck (PhD): Epidemiology of Botrytis of lentil
- Mai Laing Loh (PhD): Taxonomy and diagnostics of luteoviruses of temperate legumes
- Jiang Chang (PhD): Characterisation of Colletotrichum coccodes, the cause black dot disease of potatoes in Australia
- Veradina Dharjono (MPhil): Evaluating resistance to Verticillium wilt in commercial Australian potato genotypes
- Taylor, PWJ and Ford, R (2007). Chickpea. In: Genome Mapping and Molecular Breeding. Volume III. Pulse, Sugar and Starch Crops Ed C Kole. Springer , Heidelberg, Berlin, New York, Tokyo. pp 109-122.
- Taylor, PWJ, Lindbeck, K, Chen, W and Ford, R (2007). Lentil Diseases. In: Lentil: An Ancient Crop for Modern Times Ed SS Yadav. Springer, pp 291-313.
- Taylor, PWJ and Ford, R (2007). Diagnostics, genetic diversity and pathogenic variation of cool season food and feed legumes. European Journal of Plant Pathology 119: 127-133.
- Guan, Y, Ramalingam, S, Nagegowda, D, Taylor, PWJ and Chye, ML (2008). Brassica juncea chitinase BjCHI1 inhibits growth of fungal phytopathogens and agglutinates Gram-negative bacteria. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 3475-3484.
- Chan, Y-L, Cai, D, Taylor, PWJ, Chan, MT and Yeh, KW (2010). Adverse effect of the chitinolytic enzyme, PjCHI-1 in transgenic tomato on egg mass production and embryonic development of Meloidogyne incognita. Plant Pathology 59: 922-930.
- Cai, L, Hyde, KD, Taylor, PWJ, Weir, B, Waller, J, Abang, M, Zhang, JZ, Yang, YL, Phoulivong, S, Liu, ZY, Prihastuti, H and Johnston, P (2009). A polyphasic approach for studying Colletotrichum. Fungal Diversity 39: 185-206.
Mahasuk, P, Taylor, PWJ and Mongkolporn, O (2009). Identification of two new genes conferring resistance to Colletotrichum acutatum in Capsicum baccatum. Phytopathology 99: 1100-1104.
- Auyong, ASM, Ford, R and Taylor, PWJ (2012). Genetic transformation of Colletotrichum truncatum associated with anthracnose disease of chili by random insertional mutagenesis. Journal of Basic Microbiology 52: 372-382.
Brumbley, SM, Petrasovit, LA, Birch, RG and Taylor, PWJ (2002). Transformation and transposon mutagenesis of Leifsonia xyli subsp. xyli, causal organism of ratoon stunting disease of sugarcane. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 15: 262-268.
- Nguyen, VT, Doan, TBT, Leo, AE, Bui, MC, Taylor, PWJ Ford R (2012). Application of microsatellite markers to fingerprint and determine the representational diversity within a recently established elite maize inbred line breeding program. Journal of Agricultural Science 4: 258-266.
- Ranathunge NP, Mongkolporn O, Ford R and Taylor PWJ (2012). Colletotrichum truncatum pathosystem on Capsicum spp: infection, colonization and defence mechanisms. Australasian Plant Pathology 41: 463-473.
Vaghefi, N, Pethybridge, SJ, Ford, R, Nicolas, ME, Crous, PW and Taylor, PWJ (2012). Stagonosporopsis spp. associated with ray blight disease of Asteraceae. Australasian Plant Pathology 41:675-686.
- Elliott, VL, Taylor, PWJ and Ford R (2013). Changes in foliar host reaction to Ascochyta rabiei withplant maturity. Australasian Plant Pathology (Accepted).
- Barimani M, Pethybridge SJ, Vaghefi N, Hay FS and Taylor PWJ (2013). A new anthracnose disease of pyrethrum caused by Colletotrichum tanaceti sp. nov. Plant Pathology. Doi: 10.1111/ppa.12054 (in press).
- Vaghefi, N, Mustafa, B, Selby, J, Taylor PWJ and Ford, R. (2013). Identification and characterisation of a pathogenesis-related protein, LcPR4-a, from lentil, and its involvement in defence response against Ascochyta lentis. Phytopathologia Mediterranea 52: (in press).
- Javid M, Nicolas MEand Ford R (2011). Current knowledge in physiological and genetic mechanisms underpinning tolerances to alkaline and saline subsoil constraints of broad acre cropping in dryland regions. I-Tech Education and Publishing, Austria.
- Kaur S, Nicolas ME, Ford R, Norton RM and Taylor PWJ (2006). Physiological mechanisms of tolerance to high boron concentration in Brassica rapa. Functional Plant Biology 33: 973-980.
- Leo AE, Ford R, Linde CC, Shah RM, Oliver R, Taylor PWJ, Lichtenzveig J (2011). Characterization of sixteen newly developed microsatellite loci for the chickpea fungal pathogen Ascochyta rabiei Molecular Ecology Resources Primer Database. http://tomato.biol.trinity.edu/manuscripts/11-2/(for mer-10-0345.pdf) [database numbers 45147-45161]; accessed March 9th 2011).
- Gupta D, Taylor PWJ, Inder P, Mathur PN, Saker A, Ford R (2011). Integration of EST-SSR markers of Medicago truncatula to intraspecific linkage map of lentil and identification of QTL conferring resistance to ascochyta blight at seedling and pod stages. Molecular Breeding 30: 429-439.
- Isenegger D, Ford R, Taylor PWJ (2011). Disease reaction of chickpea (Cicer spp.) genotypes to botrytis grey mould (Botrytis cinerea). Australasian Plant Pathology 40: 593-590.
- Moin U. Salam, Jennifer A. Davidson, Geoff J. Thomas, Rebecca Ford, Roger A.C. Jones, Kurt D. Lindbeck, William J. MacLeod, Rohan B. E. Kimber, Jean Galloway, Nitin Mantri, Joop A. G. van Leur, Brenda A. Coutts, Angela J. Freeman, Helen Richardson, Mohammad Aftab, Kevin J. Moore, E. J. Knights, Paul Nash and Andrew Verrell (2011). Advances in winter pulse pathology research in Australia. Australasian Plant Pathology 40: 549-567.
- Elliott VL, Taylor PWJ, Ford R. Pathogenic variation within the 2009 Australian Ascochyta rabiei population and implications for future disease management strategy (2011). Australasian Plant Pathology 40: 568-574