- developed world's first hypoallergenic ryegrass using genetic engineering
- the first to identify Bcp1, a gene that is essential for male fertility in flowering plants. This gene is being used to develop new hybrid seed production system for crop plants
- the first to identify and clone the major allergenic protein from ryegrass pollen. This discovery is being used to produce a vaccine against grass pollen-induced hayfever
- the first to identify male gamete specific gene expression and gamete specific promoters in flowering plants
- world first report of successful tissue culture based micropropagation system for macadamia
- produced modified forms of grass pollen allergen for hayfever immunotherapy
- wins competitive research funds
- wins prestigious awards
No results were found
Research Group Contact Information
Name and Honorifics: Prof Mohan Singh
Dept: Agriculture and Food Systems
Ph: +61 3 8344 5051
Name and Honorifics: Prof Prem Bhalla
Title: Section Head - Biosciences
Dept: Agriculture and Food Systems
Ph: +61 3 8344 9651
Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Melbourne
- Prof Mohan Singh, Group Leader
- Prof Prem Bhalla, Group Leader
- Dr Annie Wong, Research Fellow
- Dr Tatiana Kolesnik, Research Fellow
- Dr Isabelle Damiani, Research Fellow
- Dr Lijuan Luo, Fellow
- Mr Chris Chong, Technical assistant
- Ms Lin Zhang, Technical assistant
- 1. HAERIZADEH F, SINGH M B and BHALLA P L (2006) Transcriptional repression distinguishes somatic from germ cell lineages in a plant. Science. 313, 496 - 499. [Abstract | Full article]
- 2. SINGH M B and BHALLA P L(2006) Plant stem cells carve their own niche. Trends in Plant Sciences 5(11), 241-246.
- 3. BHALLA P L(2006) Genetic engineering of Wheat–Current Challenges and Opportunities. Trends in Biotechnology 24 (7) 305-311.
- 4. OKADA T,SINGH M B andBHALLA P L (2006) Histone H3 variants in male gametic cells of lily and H3 methylation in mature pollen. Plant Molecular Biology DOI 10.1007/s11103-006-9036-8
- 5. MULWA R M S and BHALLA P L (2006) In vitro plant regeneration from immature seed cotyledon explants of macadamia (Macadamia tetraphylla L.). Plant Cell Reports DOI 10.1007/s00299-006-0182-x
- 6. OKADA T, BHALLA P L, and SINGH M B (2006) Expressed sequence tag analysis of genes expressed in generative cell of lily. Plant and Cell Physiology 47(6) 1-8.
- 7. BHALLA P L, OTTENHOF H H and SINGH M B (2006) Wheat transformation – an update of recent progress. Euphytica 149: 353–366.
- 8. BHALLA P L and SINGH M (2006) Future directions for allergen immunotherapy. Inflammation andAllergy - Drug Targets 5(1), 1-3
- 9. SINGH M and BHALLA P L (2006) Recombinant expression systems for allergen vaccines. Inflammation andAllergy - Drug Targets 5(1), 53-59
- 10. BHALLA P L and SINGH M B(2006) Molecular Control of Stem Cell Maintenance in Shoot Apical Meristem. Plant Cell Reports 25, 249-256.
- 11. ZHANG Y, SINGH M B, SWOBODA I, BHALLA P L (2005) Agrobacterium -mediated transformation and generation of male sterile lines of Australian canola. Australian Journal of Agriculture Research 56(4) 353–361
- 12. OKADA T, ENDO M, SINGH M B and BHALLAP L (2005) Analysis of Histone H3 gene family in Arabidopsis and identification of male gamete cells specific variants AtMGH3. The Plant Journal 44 (4), 557-56
- 13. OKADA T, BHALLA P L, and SINGH M B (2005) Transcriptional activity of male gamete-specific histone gcH3 promoter in sperm cell of Lilium longiflorum. Plant and Cell Physiology 46, 797-802.
- 14. BHALLA P L and SINGH M B (2004) Knocking out expression of plant allergen genes. Methods 32 (3), 340-345.
- 15. BHALLA P L and SINGH M B (2004) Engineered allergens for immunotherapy. Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology 4(6), 569-573.
- 16. SWOBODA I, GROTE M, VERDINO P, KELLER W, SINGH MB, DE WEERD N, SPERR WR, VALENT P, BALIC N, REICHELT R, SUCK R, FIEBIG H, VALENTA R, SPITZAUER S (2004) Molecular characterization of polygalacturonases as grass pollen-specific marker allergens: expulsion from pollen via submicronic respirable particles. Journal of Immunology 172(10), 6490-6500.
- 17. WANG Y-H and BHALLA P L(2004) Somatic embryogenesis from leaf explants of Australian fan flower, Scaevola aemula R. Br. Plant Cell Reports 22, 408-414.
- 18. BHALLA P L(2003) Genetic engineering of pollen allergens for hayfever immunotherapy. Expert Review of Vaccines 2 (1), 89-98.
- 19. SINGH M, BHALLA P L, XU H, and SINGH M B (2003)Isolation and Characterization of a Flowering Plant Male Gametic Cell-Specific Promoter. FEBS Letters 542, 47-52.
- 20. DE WEERD N, BHALLA P L and SINGH M B (2003) Oral immunization with a recombinant major grass pollen allergen induces blocking antibodies in mice. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology 130 (2), 119-124.
- 21. KANCHERLA S L andBHALLA P L (2003) Plant regeneration of Australian native ornamental genus, Pandorea. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology 78(2), 148-153.
- 22. SWOBODA I, DE WEERD N, BHALLA P L, NIEDERBERGER V, SPERR W R, VALENT P, KAHLERT H, FIEBIG H, VERDINO P, KELLER W, EBNER C, SPITZAUER S, VALENTA R, and SINGH M B (2002). Mutants of major ryegrass pollen allergen, Lol p 5, with reduced IgE binding capacity: Candidates for Grass Pollen-Specific Immunotherapy. European Journal of Immunology 32, 270-280.
- 23. SINGH M B, XU H, BHALLA P L, ZHANG Z, SWOBODA I and RUSSELL S (2002) Developmental expression of polyubiquitin genes and distribution of ubiquitinated proteins in generative and sperm cells. Sexual Plant Reproduction 14, 325-329.
- 24. TUTEJA N, SINGH M B, MISRA M K, BHALLA P L and TUTEJA R (2001) Molecular mechanisms of DNA damage and repair: Progress in plants. Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 36 (4), 337 – 397.
- 25. BHALLA P L, SWOBODA Iand SINGH M B. (2001) Reduction in allergenicity of grass pollen by genetic engineering. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology 124, 51- 54.
- 26. SWOBODA I, BHALLA P L, XU H, ZHANG Y, MITTERMANN I, VALENTA R and SINGH M B (2001) Identification of pronp1, a tobacco profilin gene activated in tip growing cells. Plant Molecular Biology 46, 531-538.
- 27. MULWA R M S and BHALLA P L (2000). In vitro shoot multiplication of Macadamia tetraphylla L. Johnson. The Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology 75 (1), 1-5.
- 28. BHALLA P L, SWOBODA Iand SINGH M B (1999). Antisense mediated silencing of a gene encoding a major ryegrass pollen allergen. Proceedings National Academy of Science, USA 96, 11676-11680.
- 29. XU H, SWOBODA I, BHALLA P L and SINGH M B, (1999). Male gametic cell specific gene expression in flowering plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 96 (5), 2554-2558.
- 30. XU H, SWOBODA I, BHALLA P L and SINGH M B (1999). Male gametic cell-specific expression of H2A and H3 histone genes. Plant Molecular Biology 39, 607-614.
- 31. SINGH M B, DE WEERD N and BHALLA P L (1999). Genetically Engineered Plant Allergens With Reduced Anaphylactic Activity. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology 119, 75-85.
- 32. JAIN A, APPARANDA C and BHALLA P L (1999). Evaluation of genetic diversity and genome fingerprinting of Pandorea (Bignoniaceae) by RAPD and inter-SSR PCR. Genome 42, 714-719.
- 33. BHALLA P L and SMITH N (1998). Agrobacterium mediated transformation of Australian cultivars of cauliflowers, Brassica oleracea var botrytis.Molecular Breeding 4 (6), 531-541.
- 34. OKADA T, SWOBODA I, BHALLA P L, TORIYAMA K and SINGH M B (1998). Engineering of hypoallergenic mutants of the Brassica pollen allergen, Brar rI, for immunotherapy. FEBS Letters 434, 255-260.
- 35. XU H, SWOBODA I, BHALLA P L, SIJBERS A, CHAO C, ONG E, HOEIJMAKERS J H J and SINGH M B (1998). Human nucleotide excision repair gene ERCC1 homolog in plants and its preferential expression in male germ line cells. The Plant Journal, 13(6), 823-829.