Cross-institutional Study

Cross-institutional study enables you to enrol in subjects at other tertiary institutions and have it count toward your degree. Cross-institutional study must be relevant to your current course.

Outgoing University of Melbourne students

To undertake cross-institutional study, the subject you choose must be directly related to your study and be appropriate to your qualification. Approval will not be given if you want to take a subject that is closely equivalent to a University of Melbourne subject, unless exceptional reasons exist (for example an unplanned, short-term work transfer interstate). Students enrolled in the DVM or Honours programs are not eligible for cross-institutional study.

What are the guidelines for cross-institutional study?

If you are a University of Melbourne student, you must meet the following requirements to be considered for cross-institutional study.

  • Maintained a strong academic record (normally 65% average)
  • Have completed at least one full-time semester of study at the University of Melbourne
  • Have appropriate subject content and expectations in terms of contact hours, assessment requirements and graduate outcomes
  • Have a sound academic reason for enrolling in the subject

You are permitted to enrol in up to the equivalent of 100 points of study at another institution providing you meet the necessary requirements.

Note: Capstone subjects must be completed at the University of Melbourne.

How do I apply?

If you are intending to study subject/s at other Australian universities, you must complete an application form and attach:

  • Subject description/s from the relevant University Handbook which must include prerequisite information, assessment criteria, subject duration, contact hours for each subject wishing to be undertaken.
  • Written approval from the institution you wish to enrol at, including evidence that you will be enrolled on the same fee basis as at The University of Melbourne.
  • A completed copy of the appropriate host institution form
  • Approval from your Course Coordinator (please ensure the Course Coordinator has signed the relevant section of the application form)

You will also need to apply to and complete the enrolment requirements at the other institution.

Additionally, graduate coursework students should include a brief outline of your future enrolment plans. If you wish to enrol in further cross-institutional subjects in future years, check with your graduate school to see if this might be approved. This arrangement is not likely to be approved for most programs.


If you are a Commonwealth Supported Student at the University of Melbourne, you may be eligible to study as a Commonwealth Supported student at the other Australian university also. Note that if you are offered a Commonwealth supported place at another institution, you will be required to complete a separate 'Request for Commonwealth Support' form.

If you are a FEE-HELP student at the University of Melbourne, you will be eligible to undertake any complementary subjects under FEE-HELP (subject to your FEE-HELP limit). Note that you will be required to complete a second FEE- HELP application form for the other institution.

Incoming non-University of Melbourne students

Cross Institutional study enables students studying other tertiary institutions to complete subjects at the University of Melbourne and have these credited to their tertiary course.  The Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences (FVAS) give permission for such studies in a limited number of cases.  Students will be enrolled on the same fee basis as at their home institution.

What are the guidelines for incoming cross-institutional study?

If you are not a University of Melbourne student and are thinking of undertaking cross-institutional study at the University of Melbourne, you must:

  • Be enrolled in a course at a university in Australia
  • Have a strong academic record (65% average)
  • Normally have completed at least one full-time semester of study at your home university.
  • Received approval from both the University of Melbourne subject co-ordinator and from your home university.

What kind of subjects are available at the Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences?

Our teaching and research activities encompass on-farm animal and plant production, food systems and soil science, veterinary science and bioscience and we teach across three campuses based in Dookie, Parkville and Werribee.

Subjects belonging to FVAS generally have codes commencing with: AGRI, DASC, FOOD and VETS. There are some exceptions and this will be noted in the handbook entry for each subject.


Subjects that form part of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine are not available for cross-institutional study, neither are those subjects that form part of our Honours programs. Honours subjects are level four subjects, for example: AGRI40001

Where can I find subjects?

Student can access information about all University of Melbourne subjects in the online Handbook:

How do I apply?

For more information, application closing dates, and to download an application form, please read the University of Melbourne's Incoming Cross-institutional Study page.