Exchange and Study Abroad

Organising an exchange or study abroad program takes a lot of time. If you are interested in studying overseas, the best thing you can do is to begin the process as soon as possible.

Melbourne Global Mobility (MGM) provides information about Exchange and Study Abroad programs on their website. There are also a number of shorter-term opportunities including UoM overseas subjects, international internships and short-term mobility options.

How to organise an exchange or study abroad

  1. Look at Melbourne Global Mobility website to read about the different programs offered for studying overseas.
  2. Attend a myWorld First Step session. These general information sessions provide an overview about how to undertake part of your studies overseas, and get you thinking about where in the world you would like to go. Attending one of these sessions is compulsory  for any student wanting to participate in an exchange.
  3. Speak to a Student Advisor at Stop 1. They can tell you how many semesters you can study overseas for, and in which semesters. They will help you with your course planning and subject equivalences
  4. Follow the instructions on the MGM website to apply.


If you are enrolled in one of the following courses, you are not eligible for an exchange:

  • Diploma of General Studies
  • An Honours year
  • A Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma
  • A Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma
  • Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

It may be possible for students enrolled in diploma-length courses to undertake a short-term study abroad program for credit after completing their first 50 points. These students should first discuss this with the appropriate program coordinator (

  • Postgraduate students undertaking 150 point programs, who wish to go on exchange in semester 2 of their first year, must have completed their undergraduate studies in a cognate discipline at the University of Melbourne and must apply by the MGM deadline that precedes their first semester of postgraduate study.
  • Eligibility requirements, such as minimum points completed, required weighted average mark, and First Steps Session attendance are set by Melbourne Global Mobility.
  • Masters by Research and PhD students wishing to spend time abroad should first discuss this with their supervisor and the FVAS Research & Partnerships team. There is a 'Study Away' process that applies to these students and they will be instructed by the FVAS Research & Partnerships team.


For more information, see the Global Mobility website, or contact Stop 1.