Internship Rules and FAQs

Internship Placement Rules

Before you create an internship placement in the EMS, please read the following rules:

  • Retrospective credit for an internship

    Generally, you cannot receive credit for an internship that you have already completed. Please read the detailed information below for the subject you are taking.


    You must have your internship placement approved by Dr Vern Bowles and in the EMS Database prior to the commencement of the internship. If you undertake an internship placement without approval this placement will not be counted and you will need to find an additional requirement to meet the course requirements.

    AGRI30041, AGRI90076

    You must have your internship placement approved in the EMS Database prior to the commencement of the internship. Permission to use past internship placements for this subject is rare and will only be granted in very special circumstances. You must seek permission from the subject coordinator Ms Ros Gall (


    You must have your internship placement approved by Associate Professor Brian Davidson and in the EMS Database prior to the commencement of the internship. If you undertake an internship placement without approval this placement will not be counted and you will need to find an additional requirement to meet the course requirements.

    To seek approval please complete the Placement Approval Request form and email it to the internship coordinator

  • Insurance Cover

    You are only covered by the University of Melbourne's public liability, professional indemnity and personal accident insurance policies if you are:

    • enrolled in an internship subject,
    • the placement is relevant to your study area,
    • you are completing the placement in the same semester in which you are enrolled or in the holiday period immediately preceding the enrolment period, and
    • all details are recorded and approved in the EMS database.

    If you are travelling interstate or overseas to do your internship you must also complete the relevant travel insurance application at least 7 business days prior to departure. Students should ask the Student Enrichment Officer about this if they are not sure whether it applies to them.

  • Change of details

    You should notify the Student Enrichment Officer immediately if your dates or location changes so that this information can be recorded in the database for insurance purposes.

Internship FAQs

  • Can I take my internship overseas?

    Yes it is possible for you to undertake the internship outside of Australia during the holiday periods.

  • Can I spend more than the minimum time there?

    Yes, however we recommend students do not exceed 200 hours. You can either establish this with your host prior to starting or you may wish to extend upon completing your minimum required hours. If you extend you must notify the Student Enrichment Officer and it must be recorded in the EMS database for the purpose of insurance.

  • What do I have to do when I'm at the host organisation?

    It is up to you to discuss this with your host organisation. Students come with very different levels of experience and this will impact the type of activities that you can do. Many students 'shadow' different employees to learn about roles within the organisation, they may go out on site to see what it's like to meet with clients, they undertake lab work or work on specific projects. Keeping a reflective journal may help you think about your learning and the questions that you still have.

  • When can I take the internship?

    AGRI30041 and AGRI90076 are run in semester 2 and summer of each year. You will need to enrol in one of these subject availabilities and attend the seminars. There are 6 x 2 hour seminars run during semester periods and 1 x 2 day intensive in the summer break.

    This will not necessarily correlate with when you undertake the internship as you can do this in either a two week block during semester break periods or one day a week for a minimum of 10 weeks during semester.

    As a general rule, the table below may assist.

      Semester 1 Enrolment Semester 2
    Summer Enrolment
    Internship Dates NA March-October November-February
    Final Assessments Due (appx dates only) NA October/November January/February

    VETS30028 is a compulsory subject within the Production Animal Health major. It is a year-long subject, with a pre-teaching period commencing on January 1st. Only students who have passed VETS20017 and VETS20018 Principles of Production Animal Health 1 and 2, respectively, can enrol in VETS30028. Students in this subject can complete their internships (1 x 2-weeks (80 hours) and 1 x 1-week (40 hours)) any time from January 1st to the end of the 1-week break in second semester. However, at least one of these placements must be completed by the end of the mid-year break.

  • Do I need a Q Fever Vaccination?

    Q Fever is an illness caused by the bacteria Coxiella burnetii. People can be infected with this bacteria via close contact with carrier animals or any material that has been contaminated with bacteria from these animals. Many different species of animals can be carriers of this bacteria, but particularly livestock – cattle, sheep and goats. Direct contact with these animals is NOT required to contract Q fever, as the bacteria can survive in the environment for prolonged periods of time. People working with livestock are considered to be at higher risk of contracting Q fever.

    There is a vaccine available for humans against Q fever. Skin and blood tests are required prior to the administration of the vaccine to determine if the person has previously been exposed to the bacteria.

    Further information about Q fever can be obtained via the Australian Q Fever Register ( For additional information about Q fever, and to determine whether Q fever vaccination is right for you, you should talk to your doctor.

  • Can I get paid for my internship?

    Students in FVAS undertake internships as part of an existing for-credit subject. The purpose of the internships is to gain valuable on the job experience and almost all internships are unpaid. There are however some instances where host organisations may have to pay interns because it is their company policy to do so – this is particularly true of local councils and government organisations. If this is the case then you are allowed to be paid for your internship, however it should be at least minimum wage. Students should not generally expect to be paid for their internship.

NEXT: Enter your placement on the EMS