Examination and Completion

Information on possible extensions to candidature, thesis requirements, submitting your thesis, and the examination process.

Thesis Submission and Examination

Guides to the content andformat of graduate research theses and detailed information on thesissubmission and examination can be found at the Graduate Research Hub.

Extensions to Candidature

If you're not ready to submit your thesis by your expected completion date, it is possible to apply for one to two extensions to candidature. You do this via your progress report form by asking your advisory committee to complete the relevant section.

The normal duration for a masters by research is 1.5 years full-time or three years part-time. Students who need more time to submit their thesis may apply for two extensions of three months each (full-time equivalent) with the support of their advisory committee. The normal maximum duration is two years full-time or four years part-time.

The normal duration for a PhDis three years full-time or six years part-time. Students may apply for two extensions of six months each (full-time equivalent) with the support of their advisory committee. The normal maximum duration is four years full-time or eight years part-time.

If you have a scholarship, you should note that an extension to candidature does not guarantee an extension to scholarship. Please contact the Melbourne Scholarships Office if you have questions about extending your scholarship.

International candidates requiring extensions will need to check their sponsorship allocation and also their visa requirements.

Approved late submission

If there have been research-related reasons beyond your control that mean you are unable to submit your thesis before your enrolment end date, your advisory committee can support you to be approved for late submission. Late submission allows you to submit your thesis after your maximum course duration. Late submission can be granted for up to two calendar years for PhD students, and up to one calendar year for Masters (by Research) students.

Application for late submission is made via the progress report form that is sent to you by the FVAS Research Office.