Graduating is just the beginning
From hands-on workshops and conferences to training courses and single subject study, there are many opportunities to develop and expand your skills and keep up with best practice with our FVAS Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programs.
To enhance the quality and reputation of veterinarians through relevant and leading edge CPD
There are many ways to keep up your CPD hours. Whether it's a short course, conference or a workshop – your CPD should equip you with the skills, knowledge and confidence to practice what you've learned.
All of our CPD programs focus on quality teaching and direct relevance to practice.
Our courses are unique, accessible, and clinically-focused, and have been designed for working veterinarians. As the courses are delivered online, students will have the flexibility to complete modules in their own time, allowing them to fit study around work.
Who should do these courses?
These courses are ideally suited to veterinarians who:
- Want to increase their knowledge and skills in ultrasound and emergency and critical care
- Want to earn a formally recognised qualification from one of Australia’s leading veterinary schools while keeping up with CPD hours
- Want to prepare for a membership examination with the ANZCVS
- Want to create profit centres within their practices.
Both courses focus on delivering clinically focused theory with a strong emphasis on case studies. Course notes are supported by images, animations and video demonstrations you can apply in cases at your practice.
Pressed for time?
Part time study is an option, or you can complete single subjects as a stand-alone CPD and receive a Certificate of Completion. You then have the option of completing the course at a later time.
Courses are delivered as short modules for optimal learning and convenience.
At around 120 CPD hours and $2100 per subject (480 points overall), these courses are great value for practicing veterinarians who want to grow their skills while earning a qualification. They can also provide a high level of return-on-investment for veterinarians.
Graduate Certificate in Small Animal Ultrasound
This course is designed and maintained by Dr Cathy Beck BVSc (Hons), DipVetClinStud, MVS, GCUT, FANZCVS (Radiology). On completion, you will be able to:
- Acquire diagnostic ultrasound images of the abdomen of dogs and cats
- Describe and interpret abnormalities
- Obtain fine needle aspirates or biopsy samples
- Communicate your findings and interpretation orally and in a written ultrasound report.
Graduate Certificate in Emergency and Critical Care
This course is designed and maintained by Dr Kylie Kelers BSc, BVMS, MVS, FANZCVS (Emergency and Critical Care). On completion, you will be able to:
- Apply anatomy, physiology, pathology and therapy to manage a range of emergencies
- Rapidly and accurately assess patients to prioritise problems based on principles of triage
- Understand, assess and manage a range of conditions
- Apply techniques, monitoring and procedures commonly used in emergency and critical care.
Course materials can be accessed through the eLearning Education app on smartphones and tablets with iOS, Android or Windows systems. Once the course materials have been downloaded on smartphones and tablets, all the interactive media content can be viewed even when offline*. Course materials can also be accessed online using a web browser.
Even after completing a subject, students can access online teaching resources at any time. These are updated regularly with the latest information available for clinicians.
* Internet access is required periodically to login or re-verify login credentials.
Graduate Diploma in Agribusiness for Veterinarians
The Graduate Diploma in Agribusiness for Veterinarians provides veterinary professionals with the opportunity to learn the principles of agricultural business management.
The course is designed to take into account both current and anticipated future industry needs and is specifically designed to equip you with core business competencies and skills, and to develop their leadership potential.
Graduate Diploma in Veterinary Professional Leadership and Management
This program provides veterinarians and veterinary students with specialist training in organisational leadership and management, across a broad range of management settings.
You will study coursework subjects within the Master of Management program covering a broad spectrum of management activities. The subjects will develop your theoretical and practical knowledge to help you become a successful manager and leader.
Workshops and events to help you grow your skills as a veterinarian and meet continuing education requirements
Upcoming short courses, conferences and workshops
Register to receive updates on future CPD workshops and events at the University of Melbourne, by completing this form and we will add you to our mailing list.
Mix with experts in the industry, network with fellow professionals and keep up-to-date with the latest thinking and practice
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE IN GLOBAL WINE STUDIES
This exciting new program introduces participants to the culture and commerce of the global wine industry, via a hands-on field trip through the ultra-premium wine regions of France.
- Experience the culture and traditions of the French wine and food industries first hand.
- Examine the French derivation of the modern wine industry and its influence on the evolution and emergence of new world wine industries.
POSTGRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN CLIMATE CHANGE FOR PRIMARY INDUSTRIES
This one year course is ideal for those working in primary industries, where the impact of climate change is relevant to your work.
- Explore the interdisciplinary nature of primary industries and climate change impacts, mitigation, sequestration and adaptation at an advanced level.
- Build a sound foundation in the scientific and economic principles and analytical skills underpinning responses to climate change.
- Develop your competence in the analysis of complex systems in devising strategies for responding to climate change impacts on agricultural production.
- Expand your critical understanding of environmental, economic, social and ethical factors related to climate change and primary industries in Australia and globally.
OPT-IN TO RECIEVE CPD UPDATES
If you would like to be receive updates on future CPD opportunities, please subscribe to our mailing list.