Maggs Johnson Travel Bursary
This bursary is provided to assist a student in fourth year of the DVM course to enhance their extramural educational experience. The bursary is to support the student’s accommodation and living expenses while on extramural placement at the University of California, Davis.
This bursary has been provided through the generous support of Dr David Maggs and Dr Lynelle Johnson.
There is one bursary of $1,000, plus provision of a return flight to San Francisco from Melbourne.
All DVM3 students; the UC Davis placement will be part of the DVM4 extramural placements. However, preference will be given to residents, or former residents, of St Hilda’s College.
Terms & Conditions
- The bursary will be awarded based on recommendations of the DVM Scholarship Committee.
- Students must be in good academic standing (no pending supplementary or special examinations). Academic records will not otherwise be considered in the selection process.
- The bursary recipient is expected to attend an award ceremony. Failure to attend (without extenuating circumstances) may result in cancellation of the scholarship.
- The bursary recipient will be expected to provide the following:
i. A report (of approximately 500 words) at the conclusion of their extramural experience, outlining the impact the bursary made on their veterinary education. The report must be suitable for presentation to the donor and should highlight the importance of the bursary to the student in achieving the goals of their placement.
ii. A short seminar/round table presentation at St Hilda’s and/or the Veterinary School, to present the outcomes of the extramural experience at UC Davis.
iii. The bursary recipient may be required to present at Capstone Week.
Applicants must submit a letter addressing:
- the educational intent of their extramural experience and how this experience will enhance their veterinary education
- the potential value to the student of the learning experience
- the relevance of the experience to the student’s career aspirations
The letter should be no more than 500 words in length and must not be handwritten. A resume is not required.
How to apply
Applications open: TBC for 2019
Applications close: TBC for 2019
Application outcomes are usually available within two months of closing date.